Steph catches up with artist Ash Tower during the exhibition Studios 2022 at Adelaide Contemporary Experimental (ACE).
They wax poetic about knowledge systems – from library shelves and scientific journals to the honor board at the RSL – which may sound like a dry subject, but Ash’s work reveals a contagious reverence for the humanness that surrounds the growing and organising of knowledge. There’s also talk of architecture, gaming, Baz Luhrmann film trivia, and coffins.
Transcript of this episode (PDF)
- Adelaide Contemporary Experimental (ACE)
- Postcards from the Bibliopolis, 2013
- Barr Smith Library, Adelaide
- Studies of Nature, 2017
- Nature (journal)
- RSL: The Returned and Services League of Australia is a support organisation for people who have served or are serving in the Australian Defence Force.
- The Burning of Vision, 2021
- Baroque architecture
- Via Purifico, 2021
- Romeo + Juliet (film), 1996, Baz Luhrmann
- Final Fantasy X (game), 2001, Squaresoft
- … underneath the grove of sycamore
that westward rooteth from the city’s side,
so early walking did I see your son.
(Romeo and Juliet 1.1.119-121)
- 14 Things You Didn’t Know About Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet [cosmo article]
- underneath the grove of sycamore, 2021, ink on paper. 760 x 560mm
- ACE Studio Program
- Studios 2022 exhibition at ACE